Zippy Zucchini Fritters
Got zucchini? Then you have the star ingredient in this super fast recipe that makes for an awesome side dish. These crispy, yet tender fritters taste decadent but are actually incredibly healthy. Zucchini is a low calorie, high fiber vegetable that is a great source of potassium, vitamin A, vitamin C, iron, manganese, phosphorus and zinc. I recommend making a double batch right off the get go!
- 2 packed cups of shredded, drained zucchini*
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 yellow onion, minced
- 2/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese (if not a fan of goat cheese, shredded Parmesan would work well)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Coconut oil spray
*Shred the zucchini onto a cheesecloth or dish towel and then squeeze all excess water out before measuring. The more water you drain out, the crispier your fritters will be.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, salt and pepper. Add the minced onion, bread crumbs and cheese and stir to combine. Finally, add the zucchini and thoroughly combine – hands are great tools for this step.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and spray with oil. Form the mixture into 9 equal sized patties. Place parties on the skillet and then spray the tops with another light dusting of spray.
- Cook the fritters for approximately 4-5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and crisp.
Makes 9 fritters (Approximately 220 calories per 3 fritters. 13g protein, 7g fat, 22g carbohydrate)