Greens & Grains Salad
This salad definitely changes up the flavors and textures of tried and true salad combinations, and has the double benefit of being even tastier the second day- after all the ingredients have had a chance to mingle in the refrigerator overnight. The key is to use greens that have some “oomph” to stand up to the farro and salad dressing, which is why we use Kale here. This salad can be eaten as is, or topped with grilled chicken, broiled salmon, or tuna for a protein boost.
- 1 cup dry farro, rinsed and drained
- 1 large bunch kale, stems removed and leaves chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 small head of purple cabbage, cored and cut into thin slices
- 1 cup goat cheese crumbles
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/3 cup vinaigrette plus extra to taste: I recommend either Newman’s Own Raspberry Walnut or Brianna’s Lively Lemon Tarragon
- Place farro in a pot and add water to cover the grains by a couple of inches. Bring farro to a boil and then reduce heat and allow to simmer, covered until the farro is tender but still chewy – about 25 to 30 minutes. Drain the farro and set aside to cool.
- Toss the kale with 1/3 cup vinaigrette and gently rub the dressing into the kale to soften the leaves. Add purple cabbage, goat cheese, walnuts and farro and toss again. Add more salad dressing to your individual taste.
- This salad will last several days if kept covered in the refrigerator.
Makes 6 large servings; Calories and macronutrient values dependent upon amount and type of dressing used.