Roasted Chicken Chili
A refreshing spin on chili! This is light but full of flavor.
- 4 cups (3 large) chopped yellow onions
- 1/8 cup olive oil (plus extra for chicken)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 red bell peppers, large diced
- 2 yellow bell peppers, large diced
- 1 tsp chili pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp dried red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp kosher salt (plus extra for chicken)
- 2 - 28 ounce cans whole peeled tomatoes in puree
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast
- Fresh ground pepper
- Rub chicken with olive oil and place on baking sheet. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Roast at 350 for 20 minutes until just cooked. Cool slightly. Cut into 3/4" cubes, set aside.
- Cook onions in oil over medium-low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, until translucent.
- Add bell peppers, chili powder, cumin, pepper flakes, cayenne and salt. Cook for 1 minute.
- Crush the tomatoes, add to the pot along with the basil.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken to chili, simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
Makes 6 servings, 156 calories, 8g carbohydrates, 16g protein, 7g fat